Human vasculature is heterogeneous and organ-specific. There are distinct structural, molecular, and functional differences in each organ’s vasculature. Recent advancements in microfabrication techniques, biomaterials, and differentiation protocols allowed for incorporation of microvasculature into engineered organs, and further their integration onto microfluidic platforms, i.e., tissue chips. These in vitro models now enable the understanding and medical utilization of tissue-specific vasculature in a human-relevant context. Accordingly, this Special Issue seeks to showcase research papers, short communications, and review articles that focus on novel methodological developments in vascularized organs-on-a-chip systems (e.g., blood-brain-barrier, vascularized tumors, and other tissue-specific vasculatures) and contribute to the efforts in transforming their realistic use for fundamental understanding of organ-specific vasculature and their microenvironmental regulation, as well as their use for various biomedical and clinical applications.
Topics covered include, but are not limited to:
- Development, validation and/or use of organ-on-a-chip systems with a perfused vasculature.
- Blood brain barrier-on-a-chip models and their applications.
- Vascularized and perfusable models of tissues including but not limited to the skin, liver, kidney, gut, and lung.
- Vascularized and perfusable models of tumors.
- The use of organ-on-a-chip systems for the understanding of tissue-specific vascular profiles and functions.
- Novel materials, bioinks, or microfabrication tools that facilitate the integration of vasculature in engineered organs and chips.
Hasan Erbil Abaci, Ph.D., Assistant Professor in Department of Dermatology, Columbia University Irving Medical Center, New York, United States
Mandy B. Esch, Ph.D., Project leader in the Microsystems and Nanotechnology Division, National Institute of Standards and Technology, Maryland, United States
How to Submit:
- Authors should log into PXP to submit a manuscript
- Under manuscript information → Manuscript classification → select “Organ-specific vasculature-on-a-chip systems”
- Under manuscript information → Title/Abstract → select “Invited Submission: Yes” only for authors who have received a personal invitation from the Guest Editors