Career Opportunities at AIP Publishing
AIP Publishing’s mission is to serve science and scientists by accelerating the course of scientific discovery. We are committed to attracting, retaining and developing talented individuals to support our mission.
Our Work Environment
We provide a dynamic, collaborative, creative and innovative work environment. Ideas and suggestions are encouraged and valued. Our environment is one where employees can work collaboratively and use their talents and skills to contribute to the success of the organization and meet the needs of our customers.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes the following:
- Medical/Prescription Drug Plan
- Dental Plan
- Vision Plan
- Flexible Spending Plan (Health & Dependent Care)
- Basic Life Insurance
- Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance
- Business Travel Accident Insurance
- Short-Term and Long-Term Disability Insurance
- Worker’s Compensation Insurance
- Unemployment Insurance
- Retirement Plan
- Tax Deferred Retirement Account
- Commuter Benefits
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- A competitive time off policy
- Paid personal days and holidays throughout the year
- Access to onsite fitness facility
- Tuition Assisance
Current open positions
AIP Publishing, a leading publisher in the STM market seeks Head of Software and Application Development to lead the development, maintenance and support of AIP Publishing’s software and application systems.
Reporting into the Chief Operating Officer and working collaboratively with the Director, Platform and Product Management, the Head of Software and Application Development will provide technical vision and leadership to successfully develop and implement new digital information products and services in order to enhance customer experience and outcomes.
Through the management of the Development Team and Project Management Office, the Head of Software and Application Development will be responsible for documentation, technical specifications, program/project management, programming, and testing/quality assurance on all systems, projects and products produced by AIP Publishing.
The Head of Software and Application Development will be accountable for the architecture and build of a digital information platform to serve the needs of scientific researchers and library customers. The role also involves taking ownership of all aspects of the technology strategy in order to deliver transformative innovation to winning plays around new business models. Such models need to be built around content, data and user experience. The role will also need to display strong skills for influencing change to shift technology to a place where it is agile and forward looking in order to provide outstanding customer experience as well as compelling customer touch points around the scientist workflow. Skills development to create a team embracing an agile sprint methodology and the ability to build minimal viable prototypes and proof of concepts, will also be a vital component of the role as well as the development of strong skills for testing, delivery and ongoing development of the platform.
The Head of Software and Application will be also be accountable for managing development vendors and internal resources to rapidly release products and services to meet the needs of our internal and external customers.
- Create a strong agile development environment (including leading the adoption of agile development methodologies and tools) to meet the fast pace and rapidly changing dynamics of the digital media market space.
- Strong leadership and team (people) management skills, well versed in training and education of teams of developers (especially in agile methodology and culture) and in change management.
- Work collaboratively with Product Management and other business units to define, prioritize and implement the business strategy.
- Develop the long-term strategy for software and application development to support business strategy and priorities.
- Lead the development team and be accountable for overall systems and software development life cycle.
- Oversee the functional/technical specification and documentation of products and services process to ensure that the needs of the business are captured prior to commencing new projects.
- Work closely with the development team to create and execute appropriate project plans, test strategies and processes for development activities in concert with the business.
- Develop a team of technology experts who understand the business and effectively work with vendors and other development staff (both in-house and vendor) to enable the continuous deployment/development of our products and services.
- Meet departmental financial and business level objectives by forecasting requirements including, staff budgets, expenses, product metrics and team performance.
- Leads the formulation and development of long-term strategic plans for acquiring and enabling efficient and cost-effective information processing and communication technologies.
- Defines and establishes IT Engineering operational and strategic planning, goals, objectives, and operating procedures
- Develops business case justifications and cost/benefit analysis for IT spending and initiatives.
- Build an effective development team through coaching, mentoring and developing team members to drive innovation, productivity, continuity.
- Keep abreast and current on technology trends and provide insight to senior management on trends that can impact the strategy and profitability of the organization.
AIP Publishing, one of the world’s leading publishers in the physical sciences, recently announced the launch of APL Photonics, a new open access journal for photonics research.
APL Photonics will feature high quality original research and perspectives covering all areas within the field of photonics. APL Photonics’ vision is to be a high quality, rapid, open access publication serving the photonics community.
“AIP Publishing has long been the trusted home for cutting-edge photonics research through our flagship journals Applied Physics Letters and Journal of Applied Physics, said Jason Wilde, Chief Publishing Officer. “We are thrilled to extend this tradition with APL Photonics. Through fair, fast, and rigorous peer review, the journal will uphold the same reputation for quality as its parent journal, Applied Physics Letters.”
The journal will be open for manuscript submissions in summer 2015. The first content is scheduled to be published in spring 2016.
AIP Publishing is actively seeking an Editor-in-Chief for APL Photonics.
AIP Publishing LLC provides the global physical science community with a comprehensive collection of highly cited peer-reviewed scientific information. Accessed by researchers at nearly 4,000 institutions worldwide, AIP Publishing’s portfolio contains 18 journals, including prestigious titles such as Applied Physics Letters, Journal of Applied Physics and The Journal of Chemical Physics, and the AIP Conference Proceedings series. AIP Publishing also publishes on behalf of several of AIP’s Member Societies and other publishing partners.
AIP Publishing is seeking an Editor-in-Chief for Physics of Plasmas. A Search Committee, chaired by Dr. Martin Greenwald (Massachusetts Institute of Technology), will advise AIP Publishing regarding suitable candidates for the position.
There are no geographic limitations to the Editor’s location. The initial appointment is for five years with the possibility of renewal after review. This is an exciting and challenging position at a time of change in scholarly publications and communication.
Physics of Plasmas (PoP), published by AIP Publishing in cooperation with the APS Division of Plasma Physics, is committed to the publication of original research of the highest quality in all areas of experimental and theoretical plasma physics. PoP publishes comprehensive and in-depth review papers and tutorial papers covering important scientific advances in several areas of study, and Special Topic Sections highlighting new and cutting-edge developments in plasma physics. Every year a Special Issue publishes invited and review papers, appropriately peer reviewed, from the most recent meeting of the APS Division of Plasma Physics. Physics of Plasmas covers a broad range of important research in this dynamic field of physics.
AIP Publishing LLC provides the global physical science community with a comprehensive collection of highly-cited, peer-reviewed scientific information. Accessed by researchers at nearly 4,000 institutions worldwide, AIP Publishing’s portfolio contains 17 journals, including prestigious titles such as Applied Physics Letters, Journal of Applied Physics and The Journal of Chemical Physics, Physics of Plasmas, and the AIP Conference Proceedings series. AIP Publishing also publishes on behalf of several of AIP’s Member Societies and other publishing partners.
The Product Manager is responsible for the delivery of AIP Publishing’s platform and works collaboratively across the business (Technology Teams, Marketing, Editorial and Sales Departments) to determine new platform requirements based on a keen understanding of our customer needs and company mission.
The Product Manager is the owner of the Publishing Platform product roadmap across all of its lifecycle – from inception, prototyping, user research and refinement of the business case through delivery to post-launch support, maintenance and management of vendors. New, user driven, functionality is driven by The Product Manager to meet the company’s expectations for usage alongside maximizing the Return on Investment and customer benefit.
- Take the company level goals for AIP Publishing and translate them into strategic goals for AIP Publishing’s publishing platform
- Keep abreast of new developments in the wider publishing community, to include business models and products that address the needs of scientists.
- Understand the needs of the research communities and develop, with business owners across the company, products that will meet them.
- Define and implement key metrics to monitor and measure the value and effectiveness of product features and functionality on the publishing platform.
Core Job Functions
- Gather and analyze information from a variety of sources: customer research, market and sales data, website traffic patterns, user behavior, competitive market analysis, product performance etc.
- Appropriately prioritize an array of competing projects (new features alongside bug fixes etc…) in concert with the IT Program manager, shepherding new features from conception to production and into ongoing maintenance.
- Work closely with User Experience, Web Designers and Applications Development teams to produce software in an iterative and agile way that supports business goals.
- Write specifications, Product Backlogs and functional requirements, define key milestones, and manage the development roadmap pre- and post-launch using standard product management processes.
- Assist with financial forecasting and reporting related to business or product development budgets.
- Analyze and/or lead specific projects under the guidance of the Director, Platform and Product Management that support AlP Publishing's strategic plan.
- Assist the Director, Business Development in securing agreements with relevant business partners and outside contractors/vendors. Prepare proposals, contracts, and other business agreements in compliance with publishing industry best practices.
- Support strategic product planning and technical collaborations with other organizations, as assigned. Assist with the development and/or implementation of non-disclosure contracts or statements for any technical products prior to sale or lease to outside organizations.
- Prepare, analyze, disseminate, and present, detailed reports and presentations to Various AlP Publishing Boards, Committees, and Executive Management.
AIP Publishing, a leading publisher in the STM market seeks a User Experience Analyst to shape our customers experiences, meeting defined business and user expectation objectives throughout the customer journey. They are responsible for delivering a large number of initiatives, ensuring that development is more user-centric. This role is responsible for developing UX/IA documentation (site outlines, process flows, sketches, scenarios, wireframes, navigation models) for web, desktop and mobile applications. This role will often take the lead in supporting business and development teams as well as other user experience consultants and work closely with the client. The best candidates will be dedicated to excellence and be able to find solutions to problems in a complex and constantly changing environment.
- Create the user experience and information architecture for websites. This includes defining functionality, navigation, and interaction models through page level wireframes, site-maps, use cases, and functional requirements documentation.
- Understand target audiences' needs, tasks, and goals and translating them into smart, innovative solutions for our customers.
- Work closely with Product Manager(s), IT, Web Designer and other stakeholders to translate business requirements into meaningful and consistent experiences.
- Design and conduct various types of formal and informal user testing, including surveys, user interviews, focus groups, user research, concept testing, usability testing, and analytics.
- Evangelize user experience thought leadership within the organization.
AIP Publishing, a leading publisher in the STM market seeks a Web Designer/Developer who will be responsible for the development and implementation of engaging online design, visual development, interactive design, and the branding of company products/services. The Web Designer/Developer will participate in the design and architecture of complex software solutions by meeting with end users to determine project requirements and translating these requirements into technical designs and specifications. The Web Designer/Developer will design user interfaces that are intuitive and cross-browser compatible, capitalizing on new technologies to enhance site performance and system functionality.
- Manage completion of projects and work with internal customer to ensure satisfaction
- Collaborate with Business Owners, Product Managers, and other stakeholders to create world-class web design that improves user experience and maintains consistent branding across AIP Publishing web properties.
- Design web and mobile experiences from initial concept, storyboarding and wire framing, to design and hand-off to development.
- Develop code that is cross-browser/cross-platform UI compatible; troubleshoot associated issues.
- Deliver solutions that are accessible for web and mobile devices
- Maintain cutting edge knowledge of current and emerging technologies, industry trends and standards, modern web browser capabilities, compatibility issues, W3C standards compliance and accessibility issues.
- Ensure that our web experience remains cutting edge and industry leading, all while maintaining a cohesive modern aesthetic and clean look/feel in all design elements
- Write and update proper documentation for applications and systems developed or implemented and customized
- Create, or outsource creation of, web–related marketing materials (online ads, landing pages, etc.)
Lead the effort to sell subscriptions of the AIP product portfolio across the assigned territory. At its core, this is a “solution sell” position, requiring the incumbent to fully understand clients’ information needs and ensure that professional, productive relationships are established and maintained with key representatives of those clients.
- Formulate and execute the sales strategy for the assigned territory.
- Develop sustainable relationships with all relevant decision makers and influencers at each account to effectively market all customers and outside contacts necessary to engage the customer to cross sell and up sell AIP electronic products.
- Understand the competitive marketplace and be able to represent the advantages of AIP offerings compared to competitors.
- Engage in regular travel to see clients and prospects in assigned territory.
- Generate effective written sales communications and reporting.
- Attain as close to 100% renewal rate as possible and expand client base while increasing market share.
- Monitor the stability of key accounts, i.e. market share, market image, financial liability, infrastructure, etc.
- Produce timely sales reports, update daily prospect pipeline and monthly, quarterly, and end-year forecasts.
- Effectively work with fellow sales and sales support staff.
- Accurately complete all required sales documentation. This includes insuring sales opportunities follow the established workflow.
OTHER TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Contribute to the development of the sales strategy.
- Control all sales-related expenses within the region and ensure spend levels do not exceed budget levels.
- Participate in trade shows and conferences
KEY PERFORMANCE MEASURES:
- Exceeding revenue targets and achieving sales quotas.
- Expanding client base and broadening existing clients’ product profile.
- Providing, clear, constant, accurate reporting.
- Demonstrating strong knowledge of AIPP offerings.
Work under the supervision of the Sr. Journal Manager to provide support for the AIP Publishing program. Responsibilities may include contributing to development and outreach initiatives with market research/lead generation; web research on potential authors; monitoring and reporting success of targeting invitations/commissioning activities; and proof reading promotional content.
AIP Publishing, a leading publisher in the STM market seeks a Senior Manager, Customer Insights to play a crucial role in driving AIP Publishing’s customer-centric vision. This position will help us better understand the distinct personas of the physical scientists who use our publications, improve the ease and efficiency with which they conduct their research. The Senior Manager, Customer Insights will have the chance to build a market research program from the ground up that uses all forms of market research (surveys, contextual enquiries, focus groups, usability testing, etc.) to bring the Voice of the Customer to internal colleagues in the Editorial, Sales, Ad Sales and IT groups in a way that demonstrates a passion for our customers.
Success in this position will require an individual with a strong intellectual curiosity, demonstrable experience in developing strategic market research roadmaps, the ability to translate customer research and data into actionable feedback and inspire the Marketing team to champion our customers throughout the organization.
- Customer Insights: Architect and maintain a best in industry market research program necessary to bring customer insight (pain points, needs, opportunities) to major strategic decisions.
- Brand Positioning and Measurement: Help the Marketing and Editorial teams establish customer-focused brand personalities and measure our success in promoting AIP Publishing brands.
- Platform Usability & Design: Manage a Usability Experience Manager & Web Design activities in tandem with the Director of Product Management to help define user needs and test user response to platforms, products and services we develop as part of an Agile design process for major platform initiatives.
- Data Analysis: Analyze internal customer data to improve the effectiveness of marketing campaigns and define data sets that will help the Marketing group more effectively achieve its stated usage and sales goals.
AIP Publishing, a leading publisher in the STM market is seeking a Head of New Product and Business Development to join our team! The ideal candidate will lead the development of products and services to create profitable lines of new business. This candidate will also build key relationships with customers and collaborate with senior management and internal stakeholders within the organization to develop the overall innovation strategy through product development and market commercialization.
- Establish and maintain processes to develop deep and broad insights to understand our customer’s needs and their problems.
- Identify customer pain points and process improvements to meet customer needs.
- Use lean start up approaches to build solutions and prototypes to test and validate assumptions.
- Develop and implement go-to-market strategies and scalable business models.
The Assistant Journal Manager will be responsible for supporting activities aimed to ensure the success of a select group of AIP Publishing publications. This includes:
- Working with Journal Managers to develop content as well as performing research and analysis in support of strategic objectives
- Monitoring and analyzing journal metrics and measuring progress towards targets as well as coordinating editorial input to marketing efforts that will ensure increased journal usage, visibility and authorship.
- Gathering and prioritizing product and customer requirements through market research by working closely with academic editors and researchers in the community; representing the journal to all external stakeholders.
The Assistant Journal Manager position also includes responsibility for ensuring that development efforts support the overall strategies and goals of the Publisher’s Office and for working with internal business units to align activities to strategic objectives. Performance will be measured against each product’s success using various metrics, including quality and quantity of published articles.
The Assistant Journal Manager will interact directly with all the relevant external stakeholders of the journal community including; authors, reviewers, readers, editors. This role will also provide the research, analysis and planning that drives journal objectives, and monitors progress towards targets as well as competitor and Editor performance as directed by the Senior Journal Manager
The Data Architect will be responsible for the design, planning and management of our enterprise data architecture to maximize the value of information across the organization. Key responsibilities include: advancing and governing enterprise data architecture standards, tools and best practices. In addition, the Data Architect will provide technical expertise and mentorship to application development teams to leverage data from various AIP Publishing platforms and external data sources.
AIP Publishing is looking for a dynamic, enthusiastic Journal Manager to lead development for a selected group of their prestigious journals.
This exciting and key role involves working as part of a small team within AIP Publishing to steer, alongside each journals’ Editor-in-Chief, the editorial and publishing direction of the journals. Creative solutions and innovative approaches are sought to ensure the journals remain at the cutting edge in both content and presentation.
As a Journal Manager you will have regular interactions with the academic community so you can adapt the journals to the changing needs of their authors and readers as both the research landscape and the publishing industry rapidly evolve. This requires a good understanding of the scientific research process and the ability to engage the academic community of editors and researchers by representing the journals, and AIP Publishing, through international academic conferences and on-site laboratory visits. Therefore the successful candidate should have excellent interpersonal skills and be prepared to travel.
Journal Manager’s work closely with colleagues in Marketing, Web-Design, Editorial Production and the editors in external editorial offices to monitor and create development plans for each of their journals, acting as the linchpin for driving journals initiatives. Thus candidates should be able to work in a collaborative team environment, and have excellent time management and organizational skills as well as the ability to take responsibility, assess complex situations, and work on their own initiative.
AIP Publishing offers a competitive salary with excellent benefits including: medical, dental, vision, retirement and tuition assistance. In addition to this, in their new ‘silicon valley start-up’ inspired office space there is an on-site fitness center for employee use.
AIP Publishing LLC provides the global physical science community with a comprehensive collection of highly cited peer reviewed scientific information. AIP Publishing’s portfolio of 17 journals includes prestigious titles such as Applied Physics Letters, Journal of Applied Physics, and, The Journal of Chemical Physics, and the AIP Conference Proceedings series. AIP Publishing also publishes on behalf of several of the American Institute of Physics’ Member Societies and other publishing partners.